Risotto is the stirred rice dish that has a reputation for being quite finicky — but honestly, we've never had a truly awful risotto. Almost any rice, cooked gradually in boiling chicken or vegetable stock and finished with cheese, is going to be great.
Here are a few favorite polenta and risotto dishes from our archives — we're looking forward to revisiting these even more frequently as the weather cools.
10 Delicious Polenta and Risotto Dishes
• 1. Polenta Bar - Maybe the best way to eat polenta — with a mixture of different toppings. We like this no-stir polenta recipe from Marcella Hazan as a base.
• 2. Parmesan Polenta with Eggs and Roasted Mushrooms - An entry from last year's Quick Weeknight Meals competition, and an inspired combination of toppings for polenta.
• 3. Borlotti Beans in Tomato Sauce with Creamy Polenta - A fabulous vegan-adaptable recipe from Steve Sando's Heirloom Beans.
• 4. Fried Eggs and Collard Greens Over Polenta - Simple and hearty.
• 5. Polenta with Andouille and Broccoli Rabe - We like using extra-spicy sausage in this.
• 6. Red Pepper, Sausage, and Chard Risotto - A simple, smoky one-dish meal that makes fabulous leftovers.
• 7. Mushroom and Leek Risotto - We love risotto's capacity to absorb and blend favorite flavors and elements, like the mushrooms and leeks here.
• 8. Black Olive Risotto - With duck breast! A treat from David Leite's Portuguese cookbook.
• 9. Spring Lemon Risotto with Asparagus and Fiddlehead Ferns - Fresh and snappy, creamy and light.
• 10. Risotto with Squash and Sage - A recipe to take you straight into fall.
What's your favorite risotto, or polenta dish?
(Images: See linked posts for full image credits.)