While we always love the sharp, aromatic taste of good olive oil on greens, there are so many other options for dressing a salad. Have you ever tried walnut oil in a salad, or coconut oil? Here are five favorite ways to switch up your salad oil.
- Smoked olive oil - This stuff is so good I can't stop talking about it. Just a little bit of this goes a long way; I love it in dressings for pasta and potato salads.
- Hazelnut oil, walnut oil, and other nut oils - I adore hazelnut oil and walnut oil, like the well-priced and tasty oils from La Tourangelle. I keep cans of these in the fridge (they last better there). I like to add just a touch of nut oil to simple vinaigrettes for a richer, rounder flavor.
- Pumpkin seed oil - Anjali raved about this "intensely nutty" oil that is so good in dressings and for dipping.
- Coconut oil - Go tropical with a coconut oil and lime dressing!
- Sesame oil - A touch of sesame oil is great in almost any dressing, but we especially like in cabbage slaws with orange and ginger.
(Images: Faith Durand)