While we always love the sharp, aromatic taste of good olive oil on greens, there are so many other options for dressing a salad. Have you ever tried walnut oil in a salad, or coconut oil? Here are five favorite ways to switch up your salad oil.
- Smoked olive oil - This stuff is so good I can't stop talking about it. Just a little bit of this goes a long way; I love it in dressings for pasta and potato salads.
- Hazelnut oil, walnut oil, and other nut oils - I adore hazelnut oil and walnut oil, like the well-priced and tasty oils from La Tourangelle. I keep cans of these in the fridge (they last better there). I like to add just a touch of nut oil to simple vinaigrettes for a richer, rounder flavor.
- Pumpkin seed oil - Anjali raved about this "intensely nutty" oil that is so good in dressings and for dipping.
- Coconut oil - Go tropical with a coconut oil and lime dressing!
- Sesame oil - A touch of sesame oil is great in almost any dressing, but we especially like in cabbage slaws with orange and ginger.
What other oils besides olive oil do you like in your salad dressings?
(Images: Faith Durand)