We have no trouble picking out a main course. In fact, we have a backlog of recipes that could keep us cooking for years! But when it comes to rounding out the meal with a side salad, we often just fall back on basic mixed greens. Yawn. At our next dinner party, we're mixing things up with one of these!
It really doesn't take a lot of extra time or energy to make a fantastic side salad. Take a look at these recipes: most of them combine just a few basic ingredients with an equally simple vinaigrette. They become interesting because they use a different kind of green or bring in ingredients with contrasting flavors.
1. Fennel and Radicchio Salad with Pecans
2. Strawberry Arugula Salad with Lemon Ricotta
3. Fennel, Beet, and Orange Salad
4. Spring Salad with Radishes and Pumpkin Seeds
5. Kale Salad with Blood Orange and Meyer Lemon
6. Frisée Salad with Red Currants
7. Sesame Cabbage Salad
8. Green Salad with Walnut Oil, Celery, and Radishes
9. Cucumber and Radish Salad with Feta
10. Green Salad with Shallots, Dates, Smoked Almonds, and Goat Cheese - Chicken also rounds this out into a main course salad
What are your favorite side salads?