For adding heat to any dish, these are the spices and seasonings I turn to most often:
• Red Pepper Flakes - Good for more than just sprinkling on pizza, a pinch of these will infuse dishes with a sweet heat.
• Freshly-Cracked Black Pepper - Don't overlook pepper just because it's common; it's still good for a tingling back-of-the-throat spiciness.
• Hot Sauce - Tabasco, Sriracha, a bottle from the farmers market, I love them all. This is my favorite way of customizing my individual bowl if my dining companions want less (or more!) heat.
• Fresh Hot Peppers - These will be starting to come into season very soon. Look for regional and heirloom varieties.
• Dried Chile Peppers - Can't find 'em fresh? Try them dried!
• Chiles in Adobo - Mmm...smoky and spicy.
These are the biggies in my kitchen. What are your favorite ways to add spicy heat to a dish?