Beer is one of the most widely consumed beverages in the world, after water and tea. Beer is refreshing in every season, and the crisp ales and seasonal brews of fall are no exception. Even in my local Harlem grocery store, the beer selection is superb this time of year, the shelves lined with dark IPAs, pumpkin ales, and new ciders.
And while I will surely never tire of the classic beer and sausage pairings lining hearty menus this time of year, I find myself wondering why we don't cook with beer more often.
Only a few recipes in my go-to library come to mind as ones that tap the flavors of the keg, while wine plays fairly prominently in many recipes. Why does this beverage feature so prominently in our glasses, but not on our plates?
With hearty in mind, I went on a quest to find some of the best slow cooker recipes that use beer. After all, what could be better than something soaking up the sudsy goodness of beer all day long?
Here are six recipes I'm excited to rustle up in the slow cooker:
- Crock Pot Beer Chicken - Crepes of Wrath (pictured above)
- Slow Cooker Beer-Braised Pork and Black Bean Soup - Real Simple
- Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Tacos with Chimichurri - Colleen's Kitchen
- Crock Pot Guinness French Onion Soup - The Skinny Fork
- Beer and Brown Sugar Kielbasa & Sauerkraut - Brown Eyed Baker
- Simple Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Tacos - Just a Taste
What are your favorite ways to cook with beer?