My boyfriend pokes fun at me for packing enough food to feed an expedition of 50 whenever we go hiking. But when we need some extra fuel to power us up the mountain or an edible reward as we enjoy the view at the top, everyone's grateful for the cache of food. These are some of my top snacks for outdoor excursions…• Trail mix
– The yummiest mixes have a balance of salty, sweet, and sour; here are some of our favorite ingredient combinations
• Energy bars – Our Dried Fig and Nut Bars and DIY Nutri-Grain Fruit and Nut Bars provide plenty of energy.
• Granola – Make Chunky Granola Clusters for easy eating on the go.
• Dried fruit – Cherries, dates, and apricots are all healthful options.
• Fresh fruit – We like to wrap seasonal fruit in a cloth napkin or dishtowel, furoshiki-style.
• GORP – Take Good Old Raisins and Peanuts from simple to spectacular with freshly Roasted Peanuts or DIY Honey Roasted Peanuts.
• Jerky – Have you ever made your own jerky? We have recipes for Homemade Beef Jerky (adaptable for turkey or fish) and Make Blank Slate Beef Jerky.
And, of course, don't forget water! We sometimes take a bottle of refreshing iced barley tea, too.
Any other suggestions?
Related: Best Campfire Foods: What Do You Eat While Camping?
(Image: Flickr member dierken licensed under Creative Commons)