When I met my man, I noticed he had a great pepper mill. It's true, I noticed it straight away. He had me, and about ten other people, over for dinner and I remember watching as this substantially weighted little metal sculpture made its way around the table, across to the stove and back again. It was like a gleaming little first-date fairy.
Years later, that pepper mill is now shared property and I'm here to say that the Perfex Pepper Mill is still a favorite. It has developed a beautiful patina, it grinds pepper day in and day out, and I actually look forward to that time every few months when I get to open its little trap door and fill it up with peppercorns.
The Perfex can be found at cookware shops and Amazon for about $60 to $80, which is not inexpensive — but for an item that will last a lifetime, possibly bring you love, and certainly will never let you down, is there any question?
• Find it: Perfex Cast Aluminum Pepper Mill
, $80 at Amazon
More Pepper Mills From The Kitchn Team
• Stephanie's Pepper Mill: Trudeau Seville Grinder
• Sarah Rae's Pepper Mill: Olde Thompson Pepper Mill
• Anjali's Pepper Mill: Spice Market Mill from Anthropologie
• Elizabeth's Pepper Mill: Peugeot Paris
• Dana's Pepper Mill: The OXO Good Grips Pepper Grinder
• Emily's Pepper Mill: Mortar and Pestle
• Regina's Pepper Mill: World Market's Acacia Wood Mill
(Image: Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan)