Ice Cream Chef: Rachel of Coconut & Lime
What inspired this recipe? My husband loves Ovaltine stirred into cold milk and I love anything that combines chocolate and malt. Ovaltine ice cream seemed like a logical step; retro and comforting but in a fun new form and with dark chocolate chunks.
Tastetester comments and full recipe after the jump. Take a look, then vote here!
Tastetester Comments: My husband, Matt Rappaport said "Ovaltineriffic! It is like Ovaltine but better. I can't wait to have more!"
Ovaltine Chocolate Chunk Chunk Ice Cream
Yield: about 1 pint
1 cup milk (I used 2%)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar, divided use
1/3 cup rich, chocolatey Ovaltine
2 oz dark chocolate, chopped*
3 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk together half of the sugar (1/8 of a cup equals 2 tablespoons) and all of the milk and cream until the sugar dissolves and the mixture almost boils, about 2-3 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining sugar and the egg yolks until it is yellow and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add about a 1/4 cup of the cream mixture into the eggs and whisk to combine. Pour the egg/cream mixture it into the cream mixture on the stove. Whisk in Ovaltine, vanilla and a pinch of sea salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes or until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and then strain the mixture into a bowl. Allow to cool on the counter then cover and place in the refrigerator to cool completely. Remove from the refrigerator and stir in the chocolate bits. Pour into a ice cream maker and churn until cold and set. Place in a freeze-safe container and freeze until solid.
*I chopped up part of a 70% Extra-bitter Sirius Pure Icelandic Chocolate bar I found at Whole Foods to give the ice cream a "grown up" edge but a slightly less dark bar could also be used.
Contest InformationGo here for the full scoop on the Best Lick! 2008 contest, including prizes, rules, and entry form.
The Entries So FarHere's a list of all the entries so far. Click the thumbnail to go to the entry.
• Roasted Apricot Ice Cream with Almond Praline Ripple
• Chocolate Gelato with Salted Caramel Pecans
• Coconut Peach Ice Cream with Toasted Almonds
• Cinnamon Raisin Bagel Ice Cream
• Blueberry Brie Tart Ice Cream
• Grape Ice Cream
• Basil Infused Ginger and Cinnamon Ice Cream
• Rosemary-Lime Sparkle Ice Cream
• Mango Lassi Frozen Yogurt with Pistachio Biscotti Bits
• Visions of Sugar Plum Ice Cream
• Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream
• Apple Chardonnay Ice Cream with Bulgarian Sheep Cheese
• Mint Raspberry with a Chocolate Swirl
• Spice Cream with a Twist
• Peach Goat Cheese Ice Cream with Salted, Roasted Pistachios and a Balsamic Bay Leaf Reduction
• Pink Lemonade Ice Cream
• No Churn Lychee and Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream with Merlot Poached Pears
• Janine's Blueberry Basil Ice Cream
• Grand Marnier Apricot Ice Cream With Almonds
• Ovaltine Chocolate Chunk Chunk Ice Cream
(Images: Rachel of Coconut & Lime)