Ice Cream Chef: Janine of Rustic Kitchen
What inspired this recipe? My neighborhood restaurant has a blueberry basil pie, and since my farmhouse is in the middle of southwest Michigan's blueberry plantations, I've been going crazy with my own iterations (including jam, which also went over big). Pesto is great, but this is a great way to put a dent in my basil crop!
Tastetester comments and full recipe after the jump. Take a look, then vote here!
Janine's Blueberry Basil Ice Cream
3 cups blueberries
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup finely minced basil leaves (mince right before mixing into the syrup)
6 egg yolks
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup half-and-half
Make the blueberry sauce. Put blueberries, water, salt and 1/2 cup sugar in a large saucepan over high heat. Crush the blueberries with a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon. Bring to a boil, and cook until thick and syrupy, about ten minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil. Set aside to cool.
Make the custard. Whisk together remaining 1/2 cup sugar with egg yolks. Heat cream and half-and-half in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until bubbles form around the edges. Whisking the yolk mixture constantly, slowly pour in the warm cream. Return the custard to the saucepan over medium heat and cook until it reaches 175 degrees, about ten minutes, or when the trail of a finger drawn across the back of a coated spoon stays put.
Make the ice cream. Strain into the blueberry syrup to remove any milk solids, give it a good stir and set aside to cool topped with a sheet of wax paper directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Once it is cool, refrigerate overnight. Resist the temptation to skip this step. After the flavors have cured overnight, process in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Serve immediately or transfer to plastic container and freeze. If not serving immediately, let rest at room temperature five minutes before scooping.
Contest InformationGo here for the full scoop on the Best Lick! 2008 contest, including prizes, rules, and entry form. Submission closes the evening of August 18th. Get your ice cream maker going!
The Entries So FarHere's a list of all the entries so far. Click the thumbnail to go to the entry.
• Roasted Apricot Ice Cream with Almond Praline Ripple
• Chocolate Gelato with Salted Caramel Pecans
• Coconut Peach Ice Cream with Toasted Almonds
• Cinnamon Raisin Bagel Ice Cream
• Blueberry Brie Tart Ice Cream
• Grape Ice Cream
• Basil Infused Ginger and Cinnamon Ice Cream
• Rosemary-Lime Sparkle Ice Cream
• Mango Lassi Frozen Yogurt with Pistachio Biscotti Bits
• Visions of Sugar Plum Ice Cream
• Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream
• Apple Chardonnay Ice Cream with Bulgarian Sheep Cheese
• Mint Raspberry with a Chocolate Swirl
• Spice Cream with a Twist
• Peach Goat Cheese Ice Cream with Salted, Roasted Pistachios and a Balsamic Bay Leaf Reduction
• Pink Lemonade Ice Cream
• No Churn Lychee and Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream with Merlot Poached Pears
• Janine's Blueberry Basil Ice Cream