Ice Cream Chef: Anna
What inspired this recipe? A deep love of having a glass of wine with slices of apples and cheese. Zeta's Greek Emporium in Columbus, Ohio for having the best cheese I've tried. And more than a little nostalgia for apple orchards in the Fall.
Tastetester comments and full recipe after the jump. Take a look, then vote here!
Apple Chardonnay Ice Cream with Bulgarian Sheep Cheese
1 c. Cream
2 Egg Yolks
6 Tbs. Sugar
1/4 tsp. Allspice
3/4 c. Whole Milk
1/2 Apple roasted, peeled, chopped
2 Tbs. Apple Butter
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 Tbs. Chardonnay
2 1/2 Tbs. Equivalent. Bulgarian Sheep Cheese (Feta-style or replace with domestic feta)
In a small saucepan, mix the cream, egg yolks, sugar, and allspice over low heat. Bring just under a boil and allow to cool slightly. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl. Add vanilla, milk, apple butter, and chardonnay, then stir.
In an oven or microwave (2 minutes should be adequate for the microwave), roast the apple until soft, but not mushy. Peel and chop into 1/2 to 1/4-inch pieces. Set aside.
Crumble the sheep cheese into small granules. Add both apple pieces and cheese to the cream mixture. Stir well to incorporate, but do not overwork (you want to retain the crumbly texture of cheese).
Spoon into ice cream maker of your choice and proceed according to the manufacturer's instructions. Eat and enjoy!
Contest InformationGo here for the full scoop on the Best Lick! 2008 contest, including prizes, rules, and entry form. Submission closes the evening of August 18th. Get your ice cream maker going!
The Entries So FarHere's a list of all the entries so far. Click the thumbnail to go to the entry.
• Roasted Apricot Ice Cream with Almond Praline Ripple
• Chocolate Gelato with Salted Caramel Pecans
• Coconut Peach Ice Cream with Toasted Almonds
• Cinnamon Raisin Bagel Ice Cream
• Blueberry Brie Tart Ice Cream
• Grape Ice Cream
• Basil Infused Ginger and Cinnamon Ice Cream
• Rosemary-Lime Sparkle Ice Cream
• Mango Lassi Frozen Yogurt with Pistachio Biscotti Bits
• Visions of Sugar Plum Ice Cream
• Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream
• Apple Chardonnay Ice Cream with Bulgarian Sheep Cheese