What was happening this time a year ago on The Kitchn? Why, it was the Best Lick! Ice Cream Contest. We had all sorts of tips for making ice cream, lots of recipes from our readers, and much more. Read on for a quick refresher on the best posts from this week last year. • New recipes and recipe reviews: fig and lavender goat cheese galettes
, Mexican chocolate and almond ice cream
, Indian Spiced Carrot Soup with Ginger
, granola with almonds, apricots, cranberries, and pineapple
, Vietnamese rice noodle pho
, blackberry buttermilk ice cream
, and basic ice cream custard base
• Products we liked: Cheesemaking kits, DIY outdoor stoves, New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, old-fashioned ice cream scoops, vase that's really a serving set, chalkboard mug, food-themed plates, and new CELEBER jars from IKEA.
• How to make risotto in a rice cooker.
• There was so much ice cream this time last year! Our Best Lick! Ice Cream Contest was underway. Here are some of the recipes: Cinnamon raisin bagel ice cream, coconut peach ice cream with toasted almonds, chocolate gelato with salted caramel pecans, and roasted apricot ice cream with almond praline ripple.
• What are the best recipes for dairy-free ice cream?
• How to make homemade fortune cookies.
• A found object kitchen.
• Do you keep baking soda in the fridge?
• Tip: microwave your corn on the cob.
• Quick cocktail: raspberry limeade cooler.
Previous Year Ago Lookback: The KitchenAid BeaterBlade, Shopping for Bargains at Whole Foods, and a Kitchen Visit with Melissa Clark