Got a baking tip or question? Email us!
• What is whole wheat white flour?
• Grease and sweeten your cake pans
• Gingerbread houses: Apartment Therapy versions
• How to keep cakes from sticking to the pan
• What's the difference between salted and unsalted butter?
• Baking with powdered sugar
• Get rid of eggshell bits with a grapefruit spoon• How to crack an egg with one hand
• How to frost cakes without making a mess
• How to get rounded muffin tops
• What's cake flour?
Tips & Techniques
Do you think I can bake a cake with white whole wheat flour? I am baking my mum a vanilla cake with brown sugar icing. My kitchen is so small and I only have one container for flour, currently holding King Arthur White Whole Wheat from Trader Joe's. I don't want another bag of flour cluttering up my cabinets, but I'll buy it if absolutely necessary.
I've made several different types of muffins and quick breads with that flour and they all came out great. They only thing I try to pay attention to with whole wheat is not to over mix or else it gets tough. It might just take trial and error to see how a cake with come out.
Got a tip, kitchen tour, or other story our readers should see?