If we have time, we like to toast the nuts beforehand so they're extra flavorful and crunchy. Freshly popped popcorn also makes a nice substitute in the "salty" category if you don't like nuts or want to lower the calorie-count.
Here are some of our favorite mixes, all with a combination of about 1 cup nuts or pretzels and 1/2 cup each of chocolate and fruit:
• Almonds, dark chocolate M&M's, and dried cherries
• Pecans, maple granola, dark chocolate M&M's, and dried apples
• Popcorn, regular or peanut M&M's, and dried cranberries
• Peanuts, small pretzels, regular M&M's, and raisins
• Macadamia nuts, cashews, dark chocolate M&M's, dried papaya, and dried mango.
Please share your own recipe for perfect trail mix!