Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Chicago, IL
- United States
- About my kitchen reveal:
- This was a combined effort between us and our friends, a husband-wife team who have incredible vision and talent! We peeled off two layers of linoleum, (in 90+ degree heat, using a blow-torch--gah!) painted the walls and trim, had the original oak floors sanded and stained, chose new cabinets and countertops as well as splurged on a dishwasher and porcelain farm sink. We have also had fun tweaking lots of things, from getting new dishes to painting an old table. It's always evolving...there is soon to be a new baby, so that will certainly change the kitchen, too!
Click through to see more After photos!
- My best tip for a successful kitchen makeover:
- Patience, patience, patience! We lived here for over a year before we began the project; although the "before" kitchen was dated and not to our taste, we wanted to really live in it before we made any big decisions. We originally thought we would come in and demo the wall behind the sink and stove (there's a large pantry behind it) to open up the space, buy all new appliances and completely change the footprint. In time, we realized we loved the pantry and how it allowed us to keep our everyday essentials out, that our appliances worked just fine and that a bigger kitchen wouldn't make us happier people! We also didn't let the fact that it wasn't our dream kitchen stop us from preparing meals for ourselves each day and having friends and family over! That truly helped us learn what was important in the new kitchen.
- My favorite meal to cook in my kitchen:
- The main thing that is important to us is that we enjoy our meals, together, alone and with family and friends! In spring and summer, salads of all kinds are on the menu each day; we are always chopping up fruits, vegetables and herbs, cooking grains and beans for fresh meals! In the fall and winter, there's always the smell of roasting root vegetables and simmering soups and stews on the stove or in the crock pot. Year round, there is also a lot of oatmeal, smoothies, muffins and strong coffee enjoyed in this kitchen.
See all entries