Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- New York, NY
- United States
- About my kitchen reveal:
- The kitchen in my pre-war NYC apartment building was last renovated sometime in the 1960s. The shifting and settling of the 103 year-old building over the years has caused deterioration of my kitchen ceiling and walls, which recently threatened to collapse under their own weight. So last fall I undertook a complete gut renovation of the tiny 8x6 room. I hired a terrific architect and contractor and over the span of two months they helped me turn the tiny, cramped kitchen into a beautiful, airy loft-like space.
Click through to see more After photos!
- My best tip for a successful kitchen makeover:
- 1. Keep a folder that contains every piece of paper related to the project: receipts, bids, schedule, etc. I referred to these a million times, whether it was to find a phone number for the appliance store or to review the architectural plans.
2. Everyone says this because it’s true: add 25% to the budget to cover unexpected costs!
3. Thank everyone who has helped you with the project, often and well. Get enough sleep, learn to meditate for the stressful stuff and remember how much you’ll love your new kitchen when it’s finished!
- My favorite meal to cook in my kitchen:
- I absolutely love my new 2-burner Miele cooktop and the GE Advantium speed oven. For the first two months in my new kitchen, I roasted a chicken in the speed oven about 4 nights a week, just to see how incredibly fast and efficient it was. I cook everything in there now, from oatmeal to mushroom bourgignon!
See all entries