There are a few topics that we feel deserve special mention and regular column space here at The Kitchn. Those currently include beer, wine, cocktails, and cheese — all fascinating subjects with rich histories and intelligence. Every week our lovely columnists in these areas bring you beer reviews, cocktail history, wine lore, and passionate writing about cheese. Here's a look back at a few of our favorite posts in 2009 from our beer, wine, cheese, and cocktail columns. Images above are in bold below and in order above from left to right and top to bottom.
What were your own favorite cheese, wine, beer, or cocktail discoveries this year?
From Emma Christensen, our Beer Sessions columnist:
• Sam Adams Imperial White
• Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing
• Oktoberfest from Great Lakes Brewing Company
• Samurai Rice Ale from Great Divide
• Left Hand Milk Stout
• The Real Truth About Skunked Beer
• Brewing Beer at Home: Bottling the Homebrew
• Barrel-Aged Beers: Loving or Hating?
• Porter vs. Stout: What's the Difference?
• Top 5 Beers We Hate to Love
From Mary Gorman, our wine columnist:
• Holiday Party Wines: $10 and Less from Trader Joe's
• The Wines from Bierzo: Red Jewels in Green Spain
• The Real Face of Zinfandel Wine: Dark and Dry
• Great Value Sauvignon Blanc Wines From Around the World
• Light Alcohol Wine: German Riesling Kabinett
• Sulfites in Wine: The Myths, the Facts, and the Truth
• Quick Tips: How To Preserve Wine
• Wine Aeration Devices: Useful or Just Another Gadget?
• Wine Retailing: Do Supermarkets Offer the Best Choice?
• Great Wineglasses: Tips On Caring for Your Glassware
From Nora Maynard, our Straight Up cocktails columnist:
• 7 Super-Simple Citrus Cocktails
• Lillet Sin Cocktail
• Hot Rum Cow
• Cocktails for Brunch
• Hot Apple-Ginger Toddy
• Summer Entertaining: How to Build a Basic Bar
• Cocktail Basics: Citrus Garnishes 6 Ways
• Whiskey vs. Whisky: What's the Difference?
• All About Vermouth
• All About Gimlets
From Nora Singley, our Cheesemonger columnist:
• Consider Bardwell Manchester
• Serve This Cheese for Halloween: Morbier
• Hola, Robiola: Your Newest Favorite Cheese
• Cheese Review: Tomme Crayeuse
• Truffles Aplenty: Sottocenere
• How to Store Cheese: What To Do When You Get It Home
• Five Tips for Flawless, Fabulous Cheese Plate Construction
• Have Cheese, Will Fly: What Cheeses Travel Well
• Cheese Tip: Don't Eat Cold Cheese!
• Lactose and Cheese: Are You Really Lactose Intolerant?
* * *
Welcome to The Kitchn's end-of-year roundup! We are rounding up some of our favorite (and your favorite) posts from the last year, including lots of recipes. We are also shaking out our reader mailbag, and giving you a few more great guest posts from our friends.
(Images: See linked posts for full image credits.)