One of my new eating habits this year is to get more protein at breakfast
, which makes a big difference in my energy level throughout the day. As a vegetarian, my preferred source for protein is beans, and there are so many varieties, including heirlooms
, that it never gets boring! Here are some recipes I enjoy or want to try. Do you have any favorite ways to eat beans for breakfast? We always keep a couple cans of beans in the pantry but ideally make beans from scratch – they're so much more delicious (and less wasteful) that way! If you're new to cooking beans, don't worry, it's really not difficult; check out our posts on How To Cook Beans
, A Fast, Foolproof, No-Soak Method
, How to Cook Beans in the Slow Cooker
, and Cooking Beans in a Clay Pot
. I like to cook up a pot the night before or on Sunday so we have plenty for the week ahead.
As for recipes, there's no rule that states you must eat a certain type of dish for breakfast or dinner. A bowl of vegetarian chili or lentil soup can taste just perfect on a cold morning. But if you're looking for something a little more "breakfast-y," here are some suggestions:
• Bean Chilaquiles – A hearty meal made with tortillas, pinto-type beans, eggs, and salsa
• Breakfast Burrito – I like mine with black beans and leftover brown rice and vegetables from the night before
• Baked Beans On Toast – A British favorite, served with a drizzle of malt vinegar
• Tofu Scramble – To this recipe or any other tofu scramble, add some cooked beans such as black or pinto
• Ful Medammes – An Egyptian and Arabic breakfast made from fava beans, olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice, and served with pita bread
• Chè Đậu Xanh – To make this Vietnamese dessert soup healthier for breakfast, I increase the mung beans and decrease the sugar; it's also good with grated ginger
Related: Good Question: How Can I Make Beans More Digestible?
(Image: Faith Durand)