I love a lady who starts her cookbook with a cocktail. This says to me, "Sit back! Relax! Dinner is going to be fantastic." And paging through the simple, yet mouthwatering, recipes that follow — everything from Mustard & Gruyere Batons to Ina's favorite Thanksgiving turkey — I have no doubts about that statement. I'm pretty sure we could all use a few foolproof recipes this time of year, and Ina Garten is just the person I trust to deliver those recipes.
• Who wrote it: Ina Garten
• Who published it: Clarkson Potter
• Number of recipes: 88 recipes
• Recipes for right now: Sidecars with Dried Cherries, Thyme-Roasted Marcona Almonds, Spanish Pea Soup with Crispy Ham, Crispy Mustard-Roasted Chicken, 1770 House Meatloaf, Roasted Sausages & Grapes, Osso Bucco, Crispy English Potatoes, Mushroom & Leek Bread Pudding, Salted Caramel Brownies, German Chocolate Cupcakes, Rum Raisin Truffles, Cinnamon Baked Doughnuts
• Other highlights: Ina Garten uses simple ingredients and a dash of spice to just the right effect in these recipes, creating dishes that any dinner party host would be proud to put on the table. They are written in her signature straightforward style with lots of helpful notes about what to expect at certain points in the recipes, suggestions for doing steps ahead, and other bits of sage advice.
These dishes would definitely serve us any day of the week, but the book also places an emphasis on entertaining and dinner parties. The chapters start with suggestions for menu planning and thinking through the dinner party prep. In the back of the book, Ina includes ideas for setting a beautiful table and menu ideas.
Bottom line: these are just really good recipes. They're not over the top with excessive amounts of cream or gratuitous fancy ingredients; they're the kind of foods that we want to eat and share with good company.
• Who would enjoy this book? Cooks looking for dependable and basic recipes for weeknight meals and dinner parties alike; people who like to entertain; new cooks
→ Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust by Ina Garten
See more on Ina Garten on The Kitchn:
• 50 Kitchen Tips from Ina Garten
• What Every Kitchen Needs According to Ina Garten
• Ina Garten on Great Dinners and Overlooked Kitchen Tools
• Ina Garten's New Kitchen from House Beautiful
• Ina Garten's Chipotle and Rosemary Spiced Nuts
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emma Christensen)