Baking Out Loud by executive pastry chef Hedy Goldsmith promises fun, fun, and more fun. And by golly, it delivers! These recipes are over the top in the best possible way: sandwich cookies with about equal cookie to frosting ratios, cakes that value butter over presentation, and puddings that require alone time with a bowl and spoon.
• Who wrote it: Hedy Goldsmith
• Who published it: Clarkson Potter
• Number of recipes: 80 recipes, from re-imagined childhood treats to morning pastries
• Recipes for right now: Popcorn + Peanut Butter Bark, Milk Chocolate Candy Bars, S'More Brownies, Panforte, Cinnamon Graham Crackers, Cinni Mini Bun Pudding, Bacon Maple Pecan Ice Cream, Banana Granola Muffins, Banana Toffee Panini
• Other highlights: These are the kind of treats you'll want to carry proudly to a neighborhood movie night or slip covertly into a lunch box after someone's had a bad day. They are just so very happy! I can't imagine eating anything from this book and not grinning like a child.
It's rather refreshing to have a collection of recipes as straightforward and unapologetically sugar-loving as these. There are no secret ingredients or special techniques. Just a lot of recipes that hit all our wildest chocolatey, peanut buttered, caramel-icious, spiced-up, and frosted dreams.
• Who would enjoy this book? Baker's who love recreating childhood treats, and basically anyone with a sweet tooth
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Baking Out Loud: Fun Desserts with Big Flavors by Hedy Goldsmith
(Images: Emma Christensen)