There's something about this time of year that just says "pound cake." Maybe it's the fact that it's so compact and portable, ready to be shuttled to the nearest backyard potluck or neighborhood stoop party. Maybe it's that fresh summer fruit and a dollop of whipped cream are pound cake's inevitable companions. Whatever the reason, it's time for pound cake
. Take a look at these beauties.• Brown Butter Pound Cake from Gourmet
- Our favorite classic, but with the deep nuttiness of browned butter
• Blueberry-Sour Cream Pound Cake from Martha Stewart - The purple swirls of blueberry juices in this one are so pretty. And delicious.
• Rum Pound Cake with Pineapple Sauce from Ezra Pound Cake - It's about to get tropical up in here.
• Apple Cinnamon Toastie from Leite's Culinaria - Ok, maybe it's not technically a pound cake, but it is baked in a loaf pan. And it has a cool name. And it's gluten-free!
• Lemon-Coconut Pound Cake from Fine Cooking - Ooooh, coconut with lemon sounds beyond amazing.
• Cornmeal Pound Cake with Rosemary Syrup from Epicurious - Sometimes we need a break from the sweets, and this sounds like it would do the job nicely.
• Grapefruit Pound Cake from Forty Cakes - I'm imagining this as a more intense version of lemon pound cake.
• Deep Chocolate Sour Cream Pound Cake from Food & Wine - Now we're talking.
• Brickle Pound Cake from Sweet Kat's Kitchen - Think toffee bits, walnuts, and cinnamon swirled into a pound cake...that's brickle!
• Meyer Lemon Pound Cake from Dessarts - A white chocolate glaze is the finishing touch on this lovely cake.
What pound cakes are you baking these days?
Related: Even Better: Grilled Pound Cake
(Image: Romulo Yanes/Gourmet)