Straight up macaroni and cheese is seriously good all on its own, no matter how you make it
. But this is also one of those magical dishes that only seems to get better as you start adding things in. Here are six of our favorite mix-ins. What are yours?1. Bacon
- Yes, everything really is better with bacon
2. Roasted Butternut Squash - This works well with a sharp cheese to contrast the sweetness of the squash.
3. Ham and Peas - A childhood classic. We'll still eat it any day of the week.
4. BBQ Pulled Pork - We already love our BBQ with a side of mac n’ cheese. Combining them deliberately is a match made in heaven.
5. Black Beans, Sweet Corn, and Salsa - This spicy southwestern version is especially good made with smoked cheddar.
6. Caramelized Onions, Mushrooms, and Fresh Herbs - Fancy! We sauté the mushrooms until they’re completely golden for extra-savory flavor.
What are your favorite things to mix in to a bowl of macaroni and cheese?
Related: More Ways to Use BBQ Sauce Every Day
(Image: Flickr member thepinkpeppercorn licensed under Creative Commons)