Rick Bayless got into a bit of a juicy PR kerfuffle last week when Jonathan Gold, the great LA food critic, chided him for saying he was bringing "authentic" Mexican cuisine to Los Angeles. (Coals to Newcastle, rather.) Since then Gold and Bayless have made up, and the whole Twitter spat just served to remind us of how much we love Bayless's recipes. Here are five favorites.
Besides winning Top Chef Masters, Rick Bayless is also one of the most knowledgeable chefs around when it comes to Mexican cooking. He has spent years traveling around Mexico and digging deep into the country’s regional cuisines. His cookbooks are a revelation to those of us who grew up eating Taco Bell (ahem!), and his Chicago restaurants Frontera and Topolobampo showcase how incredible Mexican food really is. And his new restaurant in Los Angeles, Red O, will add one more dimension to a city already embarrassingly rich in Mexican food. (Bring a little of that over our way, OK?)
• Read more about Bayless & Gold: Mexican Food Fight: Jonathan Gold v Rick Bayless at Southern California Public Radio
In other words, if you’re looking for a different kind of Mexican dish to make for dinner, Rick Bayless definitely the one to ask! Check out these recipes of his that we’ve gathered from around the web:
• Smoky Chipotle Salsa with Roasted Tomatillos from Leite’s Culinaria
• Red Chileatole with Fall Vegetables from Epicurious
• Pork Tinga with Potatoes, Avocado, and Fresh Cheese from RickBayless.com
• Spicy Grilled Chicken with Creamy Pumpkin Mole Sauce from Bon Appétit
• Yucatecan-Style Fresh Coconut Pie from the Food Network
What are your favorite Mexican dishes? And are you a fan of Bayless and his books?