- Columbus, OH
- Square Feet:
- What makes your small kitchen so cool:
- What makes this small kitchen cool is that it feels so big! When we remodeled, we used bright, mid-century colors, plain white cabinets and simple finishes that really compliment the rest of the house.
- Describe a challenge you've overcome or a smart resource you've found for your kitchen.
- The biggest challenge we had with our kitchen was that it was mostly original when we bought the house. So, what worked in 1957 was a little limiting for us today, mostly because we love to entertain. It's really true that people congregate in the kitchen, even when it's 80 square feet. To help alleviate the crowding, we had our contractor make a cutout in the wall between the kitchen and dining room. I couldn't believe the difference this made - now that you can stand in the living room and look through the dining room to the kitchen, we can spread out a bit and still carry on a conversation. More than anything, this (relatively) small change brought our home out of the past, while allowing us to still honor the mid-century flavor of our little post-war ranch with a cohesive color palette that flows from the kitchen into the rest of the house.
- What's your favorite meal to cook here?
- I think anything can be stir-fried, especially in mid-summer when the flow of veggies into our house seems unstoppable (and sometimes daunting). I still haven't found a fresh vegetable that I can't throw in a wok and come out with something tasty, and my CSA subscription keeps me experimenting. Other than that, my husband makes a mean pork shoulder in the crock pot...coming home to that smell after work is always a good thing.
Small Cool Kitchens