I love fizzy water something fierce. I'd take my Soda Stream on vacation with me if I could. I've dabbled with making my own soda syrups and played with adding fresh juice to my glass, but lately I've been looking for something to shake up my soda game. Which is why I'm pretty sure Artisan Soda Workshop was written just for me. Seventy different recipes! And all of them easy-peasy to make in minutes! This may have been written for me, but don't worry: I'll share.
• Who wrote it: Andrea Lynn
• Who published it: Ulysses Press
• Number of recipes: 70 recipes
• Recipes for right now: Cherry Cola Syrup, Natural Grape Syrup, Cranberry Orange and Ginger Syrup, Pear Grape and Honey Syrup, Pomegranate-Lime Syrup, Plum Shrub, Egg Cream, Apple Cider Rum
• Other highlights: All the recipes in this book are for making concentrated syrups, which can then be added to plain seltzer water to create your own soda. If you don't have a Soda Stream, soda syphon, or other means to carbonate water at home, you can use any of these syrups with store-bought bottled seltzer.
The recipes typically call for between 1/4 cup and 3/4 cup of sugar, with some of the recipes branching out into agave syrup, honey, and other forms of sugar. It's easy to adjust the sweetness level to taste either when you make the syrup or with the amount you add it to the glass. This is great for me and my husband since I tend to like my sodas less sweet while he has more of a sweet tooth.
I love the range of recipes in this book. There are soda basics like cola copycats and ginger ale, along with lots of interesting fruit and herb/spice combinations. Most are fruit-based—great for those times when you have one or two leftover fruits that need using up. I'm also really happy to see a few recipes for shrubs in here. I've fallen hard for this fruity vinegar drink, and I'm excited to have a few more flavors to try.
And P.S., don't forget that all these syrups make steller cocktail add-ins. I have big plans to hone my cocktail skills this holiday season and expect I'll be turning to the recipes in this book quite frequently
• Who would enjoy this book? Soda lovers, DIY-ers, cocktail makers
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: The Artisan Soda Workshop: 70 Recipes from Fountain Classics to Plum Vanilla, Rhubarb Basil, Sea Salt Lime & Much Much More by Andrea Lynn
• Visit the author's website: Andrea Lynn
• See more from Andrea Lynn on The Kitchn: Andrea Lynn's 5 Favorite Products from Trader Joe's: Cookbook Review
(Images: Emma Christensen)