- Vancouver Canada
- Square Feet:
- What makes your small kitchen so cool:
- We found the Brooklyn Larder Salumi poster and it incorporated the reds from our Le Creuset collection and the dreadful pink tiles that we despised and helped to unify the space, which had existing great cupboard space. Our kitchen makes the best of some good and some not so good and turned out great!
- Describe a challenge you've overcome or a smart resource you've found for your kitchen.
- Although we’re renters we convinced our landlords that a paint job to the cupboards would update the kitchen without breaking the bank. The cupboards were originally a pink-toned pine complemented by gold hardware that completely dated the space. We painted the cupboards with Benjamin Moore Advance in Oxford White in a semi-gloss and replaced the hardware with hammered silver-toned pulls from Lee Valley Tools. We also replaced the existing fluorescent tube lighting with a schoolhouse-style fixture that I painted red to bring some visual interest to the ceiling. The kitchen was basically functional before we took paint to it, but we found that the simple act of painting and replacing hardware not only updated the space but made it brighter as the kitchen is at the back of the apartment and well away from sources of natural light.
- What's your favorite meal to cook here?
- I know it’s not a meal – but my husband makes the best ice cream ever – a lemon ice cream that tastes like lemon meringue pie. Last summer we brought it to a party and I made meringues to sprinkle on top. I think every single person asked for the recipe!
Small Cool Kitchens,
Small Space Living