- Laguna Beach, CA
- Square Feet:
- What makes your small kitchen so cool:
- When most people would have updated or completely demolished this tiny 65 square foot cottage kitchen from 1946, we decided to restore it and find appliances and fixtures that would work well with the charming old space. It's the perfect harmony of vintage and contemporary, of functional and quirky, from the custom Viking professional range to the original scalloped trim on the vintage cabinets. As small as it is, it even has a decent sized pass-through by which everyone can hang out and still be apart of the action while cooking and entertaining.
- Describe a challenge you've overcome or a smart resource you've found for your kitchen.
- When we moved in, there was a behemoth two-door fridge and a rusted out apartment stove that took up almost the entirety of the precious 65 square feet that we had to work with. Getting the fridge out of the room alone was a feat of nature as we ended up having to disassemble it and force it out the nearest window. After months of research, measuring and planning, we were able to find the perfect, small, single-door fridge and a 24" range that would fit the space and have adequate room to spare.
- What's your favorite meal to cook here?
- It sounds silly and old-fashioned, but my husband and I are obsessed with dried beans from Rancho Gordo up in Napa, CA. We try to make a healthy pot of beans every Monday night with fresh vegetables and herbs from our garden. It's the perfect meal to prepare in a small kitchen like ours. One pot and you're done!
Small Cool Kitchens,
Small Space Living