Unlike the vinegar based pickles common in the United States, these Indian pickles are usually made with oil. The high concentrations of salt and preserving spices like turmeric keep the pickles safe to eat for long periods of time, even without refrigeration. Traditionally, families in India make achar during the summer to serve with meals in the coming months.
Indian markets carry a wide range of commercially produced achar, but it's also very easy to make them at home:
• MangoThokku - Mango Pickle from Show Me The Curry
• Cauliflower Pickle from Indian Relish
• Gajar Achaar - Carrot Pickle from Khana Pakana
• Mirchi-Ka-Achar - Green Chili Pickle from My Creative Flavors
• Limbu Ka Achar - Lemon Pickle from PtitChef
Are you familiar with this Indian condiment? Do you have a favorite kind?