Border regions have some of the best cuisine, don’t you think? Nestled up against the German border (and at some points in history, even within the German border), the food in this part of France is the truly best of both worlds. These recipes say it all.
• Alsatian Cheese Tart from Epicurious - Also known as flammekueche, this cheese and onion flatbread makes a superb appetizer.
• Quiche Lorraine from Simply Recipes - Ah, the quintessential quiche.
• Buttermilk-Spinach Spaetzle from Epicurious - A delicious twist on our favorite noodle dumpling.
• Chicken in Riesling with Prunes and Cabbage from Bon Appétit - This sounds perfect for a crisp fall afternoon, mountain-view or not.
• Sauerkraut with Pork and Sausages from Saveur - Choucroute garnie is one of the best results of French-German fusion.
• Kugelhopf with Honeyed Muscat Pears from Gourmet Traveller - Rich and buttery, we could eat this for breakfast or dessert.
• Leckerli Cookies from Food & Wine - These chewy cookies are filled with nuts and spiced with cinnamon and cloves.
Do you have another favorite dish from this region?
Related: A Taste of Brazil: 8 Recipes for a Brazilian Dinner Party
(Images: Romulo Yanes/Epicurious and Brian Leatart/Bon Appétit)