This holiday week you can bet that berry pies will be gracing many a picnic table. On a hot summer day, a slice of blueberry or strawberry pie can't be beat. But long rivaling pie for a classic American dessert is cake, and we gathered some stunning summer cakes that shouldn't be left out of the mix. The one thing that cakes have going for them that pies do not is that over-the-top messy frosting. And come summertime, juicy berries or sweet peaches are piled into and onto layers of moist cake to create truly celebration-worthy desserts. Or even better: everyday desserts just because it's a summer Sunday in July.
We'll take it.
Try a Recipe:
• Hazelnut Strawberry Celebration Cake - Seven Spoons (pictured above)
• Strawberry and Cream Cake - La Via Mita Dolce
• Roasted Strawberry Buttermilk Cake - Joy the Baker
• Lemon Raspberry Cake - The Faux Martha
• Cornmeal and Fig Cake with Pinenuts - Epicurious
• Rhubarb Snacking Cake - Smitten Kitchen
• Super Moist Plum Cake - Pink of Perfection
• Blueberry Yogurt Cake - Shutterbean
• Summer Berry Cream Cake - The New York Times
• Simple Summer Peach Cake - Food 52
• Apricot Sour Cream Upside Cake - Coconut and Lime
Related: Big Pink Rhubarb Cake
(Image: Tara O'Brady of Seven Spoons)