Since it's Ice Cream Week here on The Kitchn, it seemed a proper time to celebrate the brilliant marriage that is coffee and ice cream. From refreshing affogatos to rich ice cream cakes, I'm pretty excited about this 'to-make' summer line-up.
In college, there was an enterprising pizza joint that would deliver pints of ice cream at any time of day (or night). No delivery charge, no hassle. The only requirement was that you ordered at least two pints at a time to make it worth their while. What this meant for me: innumerable late night pints of Coffee Heath Bar Crunch - more than I'd care to ever admit here.
To this day, I treat myself to a scoop of Coffee Heath Bar Crunch every now and then. I've recently fallen hard for Graeter's Mocha Chip and also love trying out our local ice cream shops for innovative flavor combinations that use coffee in one way or another. It's official: the ice cream machine is dusted off and ready.
Try a Recipe:
• Affogato - Savory Sweet Life
• Mr. Lou's Chocolate Brownie and Coffee Ice Cream Sandwich - The Food Network
• Cafe du Monde Coffee Ice Cream with Chocolate Freckles - Turntable Kitchen
• Mocha Tartufo - Martha Stewart
• Vietnamese Iced Coffee Milkshake - A Cozy Kitchen
• Mocha Ice Cream Cake - Epicurious
• Bittersweet Molten Chocolate Cakes with Coffee Ice Cream - Dede Wilson
• Chicory Coffee Ice Cream - Emeril Lagasse
• Brownie Bottom Ice Cream Cupcakes - Joy the Baker
• Mocha Toffee Brownie Chunk Ice Cream - Elle's New England Kitchen
Related: Coffee Ice Cream With Hot Fudge Sauce
(Image: Nealy Dozier)