Shepherd's pie (or cottage pie) came about when the potato was extremely cheap and abundant. It became an easy way to use up any leftover meat, and has evolved over the years to include fresh vegetables and gourmet cheeses. Shepherd's pie has come a long way, adapting to our changing tastes, dietary interests, and restrictions.
We found a few recipes we're excited to share with you today that reflect all of those changes, from a vegetarian version made with goat cheese mashed potatoes, to a buffalo chicken shepherd's pie.
When I make shepherd's pie at home, I'll often make a double batch and freeze the leftovers for a weeknight when I can't be bothered to cook. It can be a really wonderful clean-out-the-fridge dish, too, in that you can really toss in whatever vegetables sound tasty to you at the time.
Try a Recipe:
• Turkey Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie - Food Network
• Spiced Parsnip Shepherd's Pie- BBC Good Food
• Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie with Roasted Garlic and Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes - The Fig Tree
• Lentil and Wild Mushroom Shepherd's Pie - A Communal Table
• Buffalo Chicken Shepherd's Pie - My Kitchen Addiction
Related: Comfort Food: Shepherd's Pie
(Image: Martha Stewart)