Last weekend my sister and I threw our younger sister a bridal shower, and it was a chance to indulge our love for all things hot pink and glam, and make some tasty food, too. Want a peek at the menu?
I was pretty excited to have a chance to pull out the stops for our sister, especially when it came to the decor. We Pinterested it up with a crazy backdrop made of crepe paper and gold curtains. This was unexpectedly easy (and cheap) to make; I hung it behind the dining table as a backdrop for the party, setting the pink and glam mood. Pink tulips and a hot pink Lattice Runner from Chilewich completed the look.
→ Get the instructions for making the crepe paper backdrop: DIY festive streamer backdrop from Rachel of Heart of Light at 100 Layer Cake
I decided to go classic for this menu and do little tea sandwiches, mini cookies, and pink strawberry punch. I also wanted to avoid silverware — always such a hassle to juggle a fork and knife with your plate when perched on the couch. So I made little cups of lettuce, with slaw inside — handheld salad!
Here's the whole menu, with links where I have them:
Beet-Pickled Deviled Eggs
- Baked Ricotta with Chives and Lemon
- Platter of fruit and cheese
- Tea sandwiches with dill cream cheese and smoked salmon
- Vegetarian tea sandwiches with dill cream cheese, cucumbers, and radishes
- Lettuce Cups with Radish, Carrot, and Arugula
- Lemon Melting Moments
- Phyllo Cups with Lemon Curd and Strawberry Curd
- Peanut Butter, Oatmeal, and Pecan No-Bake Cookies from Bakeless Sweets
- Chocolate-Vanilla Trifle from Bakeless Sweets
And that was the party! Almost everything was made ahead, including the drinks. The sandwiches we made up that morning, and the salad cups too. It's definitely a menu I would do again; it was fun, bright, and delicious for spring. (And I can't bring myself to take down that backdrop just yet; I'm sitting under it right now!)
(Images: Faith Durand)