Today's a difficult anniversary
, but we're joining with those marking this September 11 as a day of service, charity, and good deeds.
We'd like to start this list of opportunities to help someone out through food. If you know other kitchen-related good deeds, please post them in the comments:
• A third grade teacher in Brooklyn is looking for a program to introduce students to Chinese ingredients and cooking techniques, as well as China's diverse history, belief systems, celebrations, and regional/cultural differences.
• The Food Bank for New York City and The Lakeview Pantry in Chicago, and food banks around the country need volunteers.
• America's Second Harvest is looking for donors and advocates.
• New York City's Greenmarkets are looking for volunteers. [PDF]
• Project Angel Food in LA and God's Love We Deliver in NYC bring food to men, women, and children with HIV/AIDS and other serious illnesses.
• Here's a calendar of hunger-related concerns that need help in the San Francisco area.
(Painting: Kim Roberti)