Looking for something to brighten a cold, dark morning? How about a bowl of oatmeal with brûléed bananas? Or slow cooker steel-cut oats made with buttermilk and apricots? DIY instant oatmeal you can blend up and keep in your office drawer for quick snacks? This is porridge at its best — rich, thick, hearty, and tailored to your own schedule. Read on for 10 hot porridge recipes to warm your winter mornings, plus tips for better oatmeal and hot cereal. Sure, oatmeal and porridge sometimes have a bad rap, when prepared poorly, but a really good bowl of steel-cut oats will quickly banish any memories of gruel. Take a look at all these recipes — some are chunky with roasted nuts or sweet with vanilla — others are easy to make ahead in the slow cooker.
• 1 Fancy-Schmancy Oatmeal Topping! Brûléed Bananas - Brûléed bananas, sweet and crispy, for your oatmeal.
• 2 Slow Cooker Spiced Porridge for a Crowd - A delicious porridge that cooks overnight in the slow cooker.
• 3 Baked Pumpkin Steel Cut Oatmeal - Baked oatmeal - make it the day before and reheat in the morning.
• 4 Oatmeal in Jars: Make a Week of Breakfast in 5 Minutes - How to make a week of breakfast in just a few minutes.
• 5 Overnight Oatmeal with Apricots and Buttermilk - Another slow cooker recipe for sweet and tangy oatmeal.
• 6 Heavenly Porridge - A simple morning porridge made with oat bran.
• 7 Enriched Cream of Wheat with Egg and Vanilla - Old-school Cream of Wheat, made thicker and pudding-like by adding an egg. Serious comfort food.
• 8 Congee - Simple, savory good food.
• 9 How To Make a Quick Bowl of Polenta in the Microwave - Polenta is a wonderful breakfast food. Here are some ideas for topping it.
• 10 How To Make Your Own Flavored Instant Oatmeal - Want to have a jar of nearly instant oatmeal mix on hand? Make it yourself - here's how.
A Few More Tips for Making Better Oatmeal & Porridge
• Why Does My Oatmeal Always Boil Over?
• What's the Difference? Steel-Cut, Rolled, and Quick Oats
• Slow and Easy: How to Cook Perfect Steel-Cut Oats
• Beyond Oatmeal: Exploring the Breakfast Soup
• The Savory Breakfast: Gomasio on My Porridge!
• Quinoa for Breakfast! 5 Sweet & Savory Ideas with Quinoa
• How To Cook Steel-Cut Oats for Breakfast the Night Before
• Steel-Cut Oats with Dates, Coconut, Cinnamon and Pecans
More Winter Breakfasts: 10 Hot Breakfasts for Cold and Busy Mornings
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)