One of my favorite things about staying in vacation rentals this past summer was getting to cook in unfamiliar kitchens. There's just something so fun and challenging about exploring and navigating a new cooking space.
Inspired by my recent travels, I took a look at the rental options in a bunch of the cities on my to-visit list to find kitchens I wouldn't mind cooking a meal or two in. They might not be the most stunning, flawlessly designed kitchens in the entire world, but they'd still offer up a sense of novelty.
- Manzanita Beach House: This modern rental on the Oregon coast is perfect for a medium-sized group to enjoy a weekend away. The renovated kitchen might not be out of a Nancy Meyers' movie, but it's spacious and will be just right for preparing family style meals. Available on Airbnb starting at $145 per night.
- Downtown Nashville: This rental can sleep up to 11 people, and has an equally large kitchen to match. The gray cabinets and marble counters are so dreamy. If you feel like grilling, head out to the main balcony (there are two others as well) to grill and use the wet bar. Available on Airbnb starting at $199 per night.
- Maui House: While we can't imagine you'd want to spend that much time inside cooking when paradise (both a pool and the ocean) is waiting outside your door, this spacious kitchen will be just fine for your post-swim dining. Available on VRBO starting at $737 per night.
- Parisian Apartment: If cooking in a traditional Parisian kitchen is your dream, check out this compact kitchen. The charm makes up for the small footprint, and you can channel your inner Julia Child. Available on One Fine Stay starting at $469 per night.
- Clean Copenhagen Design: We would expect nothing less than clean lines and butcher block counters from a Scandinavian apartment. In addition to the enviable kitchen, this also has a stunning dining room. Just in case you want to host a dinner party on vacation. Available on Airbnb starting at $210 per night.
- Vintage Catskills Farmhouse: Yes, the kitchen in this farmhouse is stunning, but what really sold me was the gorgeous outdoor dining table, perfect for late-night meals. Oh, and there's a fire pit; it's perfect. Available on Airbnb starting at $450 per night.
- Joshua Tree Cabin: The only thing more expansive than the kitchen in this California rental is the view. Once you've arrived at Joshua Tree, you'll want to hike, cook, and watch the stars. All totally achievable from this rental. Available on Airbnb starting at $165 per night.
- Sleek London Flat: This contemporary galley kitchen has everything you'll need to cook at home — although I imagine you might be tempted to wander and try all the local restaurants instead. Available on One Fine Stay starting at $467 per night.