We're going to guess you spend a lot of time in your kitchen. It's probably the command center of your entire home or apartment — friends gather there when they come over for dinner, your kids probably do some homework at the kitchen table, and let's be honest, you probably bring your laptop in to check Facebook while you're waiting for those onions to caramelize.
The trick is to not make the desk feel like an afterthought in the kitchen, but instead fit it naturally into the design. Here are eight examples of desks in the kitchen that really work.
- Bar Height - Paragon Kitchens: You don't need a lot of space for a desk in the kitchen. This small bar counter makes a great workspace.
- School Desk - Robert Holgate Design: This small desk fits perfectly in the nook next to the refrigerator. And the colorful school chair adds a bit of charm.
- Command Center - Amoroso Design: This integrated desk is a crucial part of the kitchen. The chalkboard behind it acts as the daily schedule, and the computer is easy to see from every part of the kitchen.
- Floating Desk - Sarah Barnard: This floating drawer is the perfect workspace that is connected to the kitchen, but still feels distinct. Just make sure you have a builder install it so you know it's secure.
- Colorful Corner - Remodelista: This desk and shelf setup is perfect for the open plan kitchen. It can hold a laptop, be a space for paying bills, or serve as an area for looking up new recipes.
- Modern Workspace - Jessica Helgerson Interior Design: This modern desk and chair is a wonderful complement to the design of the kitchen. Plus, it solves the problem of what to do with that otherwise unused space.
- Docking Station - Southern Living: If you just need a place for your laptop, a few bills, and school paperwork, this is the ideal situation. Just make sure you have enough outlets for all your chargers.
- Monitoring Station - Two Carolina Nesters: While technically not in the kitchen, this desk — which is built around a support beam — lets you keep tabs on what's happening in the kitchen, living room, and entry.