I have to admit, I have gained new respect for the challenges of eating vegan while assembling this collection of recipes. My goal was to find truly vegan recipes, ones that wouldn't require a note saying "substitute olive oil for the butter" or "skip the sprinkle of parmesan." But almost every Italian pasta recipe advises adding just a little pat of butter or sprinkle of parm! It started feeling a little ridiculous.
I did the best I could. The cauliflower pasta recipe pictured above just looked way too good to leave out of this round-up, though yes...you'll have to "skip the parmesan."
• Spaghetti with Cauliflower, Green Olives, and Almonds from Gourmet
• Rotelle with Tomato-Tofu Carbonara and Basil from Vegetarian Times
• Mac and Cheeze from Vegan YumYum
• Pumpkin Pasta from Martha Stewart
• Pasta with Tomato Sauce and Eggplant from Saveur
• Meaty but Not Really Pasta Sauce from The Kitchenist
• Pappardelle with Roasted Veg and Sage from BBC Good Food
• Chunky Tomato Mushroom Sauce from The Washington Post
What are your favorite vegan pasta dishes?
(Image: Romulo Yanes/Gourmet)