• Fresh pomegranate arils: The seeds are not only pretty but also add delightful little bursts of juicy sweetness.
• Pomegranate molasses: A splash of pomegranate molasses or syrup provides rich flavor and color.
• Persimmons: For a sweet, spicy flavor, add a diced ripe persimmon to the simmering sauce.
• Dates: The deep sweetness of dates balances out the cranberries' tartness.
• Candied ginger: Add zing with chopped, crystallized ginger.
• Walnuts: Mix in some toasted walnuts or, even better, herbed candied walnuts with rosemary, thyme, and sage.
• Dried figs: Simmer dried figs with the cranberries to get them nice and plump. If you want to go the extra mile, we highly recommend this recipe for Cranberry Sauce with Port and Dried Figs.
Any other ideas?
Related: Recipe: D.I.Y. Cranberry Sauce
(Image: Faith Durand)