I used to turn up my nose at canned salmon — and canned fish in general —but I've come to realize there is no better and more affordable way to incorporate healthy fish into your diet on a weekly basis. And as a busy grad student, I always appreciate having a shelf-stable protein on hand for quick weeknight dinners. And canned salmon is tasty! Here are some of my favorite ways to turn a humble can of salmon into a satisfying dinner.
• 1 Make it into cakes. The flavoring possibilities are endless — chopped fresh herbs, spices, glazes — but I especially like mixing canned salmon with brown rice and serving the cakes with a dollop of Sriracha-spiked mayo.
• 2 Mix it with pasta. It's like tuna noodle casserole, but better (and better for you).
→ Recipe: Salmon Macaroni Salad at Simply Recipes
• 3 Pile it on a green salad. Canned salmon turns a simple dinner salad into a filling meal.
Arugula Salmon Salad with Capers and Shaved Parmesan at Skinny Taste
• 4 Mix it with rice. Canned salmon adds tons of flavor to bland starches like rice and pasta. It's the perfect pantry meal for those weeks when you haven't had time to shop.
→ Recipe: Salmon & Pea Risotto at Coconut & Lime
• 5 Bake it in a frittata or quiche. I'm a new convert to canned salmon and eggs, which sounded strange to me at first. But the combination is a keeper and makes a filling main dish that tastes great for lunch the next day.
• 6 Serve it warm, with potatoes. Warm potatoes, a vinegary dressing and a handful of sharp greens transform canned salmon into an elegant meal.
• 7 Mix it with kimchi. It doesn't sound promising, but the intense taste of kimchi pairs well with canned fish. A must-try for kimchi lovers!
→ Recipe: Kimchi Fried Rice with Salmon at MJ and Hungryman
More Ideas for Canned Salmon:
How do you like to eat canned salmon?
(Images: Anjali Prasertong; Skinny Taste)