Bringing a bottle of wine is always good. And safe. But to take the gesture up a notch, we've got a few summer hostess gifts that will leave a longer impression.
First things first: these are absolutely host and hostess gifts — men and women alike will appreciate them. We're so excited about this list because of its variety in price range and approach to gifting: there's something for the reader, cook, foodie, or baker. There's a way to bring the outdoors in — the gift that continues giving. Most of all, there's a reason to express gratitude for gatherings, something that doesn't happen enough in the colder winter months and in the thick of a long, wet spring.
What Are Your Favorite Hostess Gifts?
Grab a Gift:
• 1 Dome Terrarium by Terrain: We love giving gifts that are alive, and these terrariums are the perfect choice: they're small enough to fit into any space, and boast a neutral orb shape that everyone will apperciate.
• 2 Finishing Sea Salts by Williams Sonoma are perfect for the host or hostess who spends time in the kitchen. The salts can be used on meats, vegetables, seafood, and desserts. We particularly love sprinkling different finishing salts on popcorn or ice cream (try it!).
• 3 Olive Wood Salad and Pasta Servers by West Elm: We like this hostess gift because it's handsome and affordable. Made in Germany and fashioned from Olive Wood, using these salad servers takes an everyday salad up a notch into the realm of a beautiful, composed meal.
• 4 Tourne Herringbone Apron by Brook Farm General Store: Put frills aside when you choose this beautiful, utilitarian canvas apron. Meant to appeal to both sexes, it can be worn as a traditional apron or more of a work apron for gardening and building.
• 5 Jam by INNA Jam or Deluxe Foods: Jam is a winning hostess gift -- people love it, and nice jam is something that many folks often don't buy themselves so they appreciate receiving it. INNA Jam's California-based jam company makes incredible seasonal flavors from local fruits. Right now the Polka Raspberry and Albion Strawberry are the way to go. Up in Seattle, Deluxe Foods produces jam using Pacific Northwest fruits and is currently doing a Gingered Rhubarb that will knock you (and your reciepient's) socks off.
• 6 Much like jam, we love bringing books as a hostess gift. Even better: cookbooks. This summer, Cheryl Sterman Rule's Ripe would be a good choice. Photographed by Paulette Philpot, this stunning book focuses on seasonal fruits and vegetables organized by color. Pretty and useful. Win, win.
• 7 Easy as Pie Tea Towel by Studiopatro: Roomy 100% linen tea towels will 100% charm the pie lover in your life. The California company also does a "cake" version as well.
Related: What's Your Choice for a Universal Hostess GIft?
(Images in order of right top on down: Studiopatro, Williams Sonoma, Amazon, West Elm, Brook Farm General Store, Terrain)