Don't let the gray days of winter get you down. You can still make your kitchen feel like spring by adding a few houseplants or finally potting that container herb garden you've been talking about.
To get you started, here are seven fresh ways to incorporate plants into your kitchen.
- Hanging Garden: This wall of plants isn't limited to the kitchen, but we can imagine it hanging next to the stove so you can pluck fresh herbs to season your soup with ease.
- Lime Tree: We've written about growing dwarf citrus trees before. And if you have a sunny kitchen and a little patience, there's no reason not to try your hand at one of these plants.
- Countertop Herb Garden: We love the idea of planting an herb garden in a low, flat pot. We imagine it would also make a great centerpiece on a kitchen table.
- Macrame Hanging Planter: Yes, they were a staple of 1970s decor, but that doesn't mean they don't fit in a contemporary kitchen. It's an easy way to add a pop of color along with a lot of green.
- Vertical Herb Garden: We love the way this wall-mounted herb garden was strategically positioned to get light from the skylight. Genius!
- Window Ledge: Keep your kitchen seasonal by adding flowering plants on the ledge behind your kitchen sink. Even when it's cold and gray, it will give you something green to look at.
- DIY Plant Hanger: Even with a small kitchen, you can find a corner to fit this plant hanger. Plus, you can save time by watering the top plant and letting it drip down onto the ones below.