• Pumpkin seeds – Crunchy, toasted pumpkin seeds are the perfect complement to winter squash and sweet potato soups. For extra oomph, try this recipe for Spiced Pumpkin Seeds.
• Dukkah – Made from nuts, sesame seeds, coriander, and cumin, this Egyptian spice mix gives fantastic flavor to chickpea, lentil, and vegetable soups.
• Popped amaranth – Amaranth is a protein-packed seed that can be popped like popcorn. The nutty flavor makes a good garnish for vegetable, corn, and bean soups.
• Olive oil – A simple drizzle of good quality finishing olive oil is both delicious and elegant.
• Olives – Minced black or kalamata olives add zing; use them as is or mix with minced garlic and parsley for even bigger flavor. This is especially tasty on potato or cauliflower soups.
• Fresh herbs – Sprinkle a chiffonade of basil, sage, parsley, or other herbs in the center of a bowl of soup, or puree the herbs with olive oil or yogurt for a flavorful green swirl.
• Fresh fruits and vegetables – Use a mandoline, vegetable peeler, or chef's knife to finely slice or shred garnishes from fruits and vegetables like apples, cucumbers, tomatoes, fennel, carrots, or bell peppers.
What are your favorite (healthy) soup garnishes?
(Image: Emily Ho)