In our quest to find inexpensive, portable lunch ideas, it's easy to overlook the original portable food: hard boiled eggs! They cook up in just about no time, come in their own carrying case, and go well with a multitude of flavors. Read on for ideas on how to eat them for lunch.
Soy Sauce Eggs (Shoyu Tamago)
How to Hard Boil an Egg: Our Best Tips
First of all, check out our guides on how to make the perfect hard-boiled egg:
6 Ways to Eat a Hard-Boiled Egg for Lunch
1. Japanese Soy Sauce Eggs (Shoyu Tamago) - Incredibly tasty on their own, but ideal as a complement to noodles, soup, and even just rice, these eggs pack the salty, umami flavor of soy sauce.
2. Boiled Egg, Seared Asparagus & Pickled Onion Sandwich - Slice an egg over bread and you've got a sandwich; add asparagus and pickled onion and you've got lunch!
3. Egg, Spinach and Spelt Salad with Green Garlic Dressing - Delicious over any salad, eggs are featured front and center in this hearty yet light lunchtime dish.
4. Asparagus with Eggs and Parmesan - Great to pack up in the morning and eat at room temperature, this lunch features creamy and crisp flavors, with a salty Parmesan and black pepper bite.
5. Avocado Egg Salad - For a simple twist on the classic egg salad, add an avocado to the mix!
6. Ploughman's Lunch - A hard-boiled egg is an integral part of this simple and hearty lunch.
And after all that, if you haven't made it through your batch of hard boiled eggs, try freezing them!
(Image credits: Brandon Matzek/Kitchen Konfidence; Anjali Prasertong; Leela Cyd; Erin Alderson; Sara Kate Gillingham; Elizabeth Passarella; Dana Velden)