Here's Jill's entire question:
Maybe it's a hold over from my many years as a single gal, but I look at Valentine's Day as more than just the opportunity to show the special people in my life I love them. I take the opportunity to do a little pampering of myself. Usually that means a hot bath and some wine or spending the morning in bed indulging in magazines and chocolate. One year in college, I took myself out to get my eye brow pierced! I'm wondering what other people do to pamper themselves so that I might incorporate something new into my ritual.Love the idea of a morning in bed with magazines! Leela actually recommended that as well last year, in this piece: • Recipe for Indulgence: Pamper Yourself for Valentine's Day! Here are five thoughts for Jill — and others! — on some kitchen-oriented ways to indulge yourself on Valentine's. Please add your own ideas and rituals too — we'd love to hear them!
Do you have any happy kitchen rituals or indulgences for Valentine's Day? Related: Last Minute Desserts for Valentine's Day (Images: Leela Cyd Ross)
- Invest in a small yet indulgent ingredient - Splurge on something tasty. Something like truffle salt, really good olive oil, a bar of some wonderful chocolate.
- Read through a new cookbook - You don't have to buy it — check it out from the library, or borrow from a friend. Have a cup of tea and leaf through a beautiful, inspiring book, like one of these — our readers' 5 favorites from 2011.
- Get your kitchen cleaned... by someone else. - Nothing like a clean kitchen to make you feel pampered! Order maid service or trade in a favor to a friend.
- Make a single layer cake - A little cake, all to yourself. Dana expounded on this pleasure here, and we think this is just th thing for Valentine's.
- Plan and make a brand new meal - We love this idea from Sarah Rae: Take Valentine's Day as an excuse to make an entirely new meal, to you, something you've been wanting to try. Indulge yourself with a long, leisurely, no-pressure evening in the kitchen, learning something new.