Have you fallen in love with chia seeds yet? Packed with healthy omega-3 fatty acids, these little seeds also contain protein, fiber, antioxidants, and minerals like calcium, magnesium, and iron. And because of their gelling properties, they help make breakfasts more filling and satisfying without weighing you down. Wondering how to eat them? Here are our favorite ways to add this superfood to morning meals.
1. In Oatmeal: Add a couple tablespoons to cooked oatmeal or other grain porridge. They also make a great addition to overnight oats.
2. In Smoothies: This is a great way to enjoy chia seeds if you don't like their gelatinous texture. Mixed into a smoothie, they add a crunch reminiscent of raspberry seeds.
3. On Yogurt: Sprinkle the seeds over regular or Greek yogurt for a little extra nutrition and satiety.
4. As Pudding: Mix chia seeds with your favorite non-dairy milk (or regular milk) to make a light, tapioca-like pudding that can be eaten plain or mixed with fruit or nuts. For more specific directions, check out our recipe for Cashew-Cardamom Chia Pudding.
5. In Juice: If you enjoy the seeds' unique texture, try mixing them into fruit juice, like in our recipe for fresh Watermelon Strawberry Cooler.
What are your favorite ways to eat chia seeds?
Related: From Chia Pets to Seeds: An Unlikely Journey into the Kitchen
(Images: Emily Ho; Leela Cyd Ross)