Have you caught the baking bug? I have several friends who have vowed to start baking their own bread this fall, and as a longtime home baker myself, this is an endeavor that I wholeheartedly support. Whether you're getting ready to bake your first loaf or whether you're coming back to it after a summer away, here are a few tips to help you bake the best sandwich bread ever.
If you have yet to catch the baking bug, take a look at this round up of all our top bread recipes, from Whole Wheat to Multi-Grain Peasant bread. There's sure to be a bread in there to tickle your fancy.
Here are five tips from our archives that apply to nearly any bread, but especially sandwich bread.
• How to Proof Yeast - Nervous that your yeast might not be up to snuff? Here's how to make sure it's still good.
• How to Tell When Dough is Kneaded - Learn about the windowpane test, the poke test, and other signs that your dough is ready to go.
• How to Shape a Sandwich Loaf - Folding the dough into a compact loaf helps it rise and maintain a uniform crumb.
• How to Tell When Bread is Done - It's not always easy to tell from the outside how things are on the inside!
• How to Make Softer, Fluffier Whole Wheat Bread - Whole wheat breads can be tricky. Here are some tips to help.
What tips do you have for making a better loaf of bread?
(Image: Emma Christensen)