Although muffin pans are typically used for their namesake, there are many other breakfast items that can also be whipped up in a jiffy and cooked in one. Small premade breakfasts are great for making ahead and eating throughout the week. Here are a few new ways to put that old pan to use.
1. Pancake Batter: Just pour it on like you would muffin batter and bake at 350°F. Feeling frisky? Add sausage or ham chunks to the mix for a little protein. They'll be on the go cakes your kids can eat in the car. Sans syrup of course.
2. Ham & Eggs: Place a piece of lunch meat inside the cup and crack an egg inside. If you want to mix your eggs with spinach or veggies like diced pepper first, have at it. Bake till the egg is set!
3. French Toast: Cut bread into cubes and dredge into a traditional french toast egg mixture. Place into greased muffin tins for a monkey bread style experience.
4. Hashbrowns: Like the crispy exterior of fast food hashbrowns? Try packing sliced potatoes (store-bought or hand cut) into a greased muffin tin. Bake until golden brown and then reheat each day for a tasty snack that didn't come from the deep fryer!
5. Fresh Fruit Crumble: Sure, technically it's pie for breakfast, but fresh fruit with a little oatmeal, brown sugar, and butter never hurt anyone, right? Bake in foil liners and you can freeze them for dessert later on.
What do you like to bake in muffin cups? Share your make ahead breakfast ideas below!
Related: How to Bake Eggs en Cocotte
(Image: Flickr member chocolate monster mel, licensed for use by Creative Commons)