What do you crave when you've got those post-holiday blues? The inevitable cold and flu symptoms that descend this time of year? Soup tops the list of things I want to eat when I'm sniffly and stuffed up, and so I'm craving it right now. Here are my own top 5 picks for soups that nourish me when I'm not feeling great — 5 soups to soothe a cold, from tangy, lime-infused turkey broth to classic Taiwanese beef noodles
5 SOUPS TO SOOTHE A COLD
• 1 Recipe: Hot & Sour Mushroom, Cabbage, and Rice Soup - I like this tangy, spicy soup best when made with turkey broth, but you can also use vegetable broth for a vegan soup. There's so much flavor, regardless of what kind of broth you use: mushrooms, lime, soy sauce, rice, and cabbage make this a tasty and nutritious powerhouse.
• 2 Miso Soup (Rice and Poached Egg Optional) - Miso soup is one of those soups I can make even when feeling my worst. A little canned broth, and a tablespoon of miso paste. If someone else is cooking, I might ask them to stir in some rice or even a poached egg for protein.
• 3 Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup - If a friend is bringing dinner, ask for this — it's rich and beefy, with all those slurpy noodles — the ultimate comfort food.
• 4 Tangy Mulligatawny with Turkey - Another turkey soup, this one an old mashup of British and Indian influences, with some spice to clear out your sinuses.
• 5 How To Make Easy Chicken Noodle Soup - And then, the classic. Mama's penicillin. This is the best reason to stockpile homemade chicken broth after you roast a chicken.
Those are my top five picks. What are yours? What kind of soup do you crave when you're not feeling your best?
Related: From Chicken Noodle to Egg Drop: 10 Soothing Broth-Based Soups
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)