It may be part of the human condition to love burgers. You don’t have to love (or even eat) red meat — there are pescetarian, vegetarian, vegan, Paleo, and poultry burgers that are just as satisfying to sink your teeth into.
And that’s the thing about burgers, isn’t it? They give you that gratifying feeling of picking up a sandwich with both hands, opening wide, and taking a big, honkin’ bite of savory pleasure.
Consumption of burgers skyrockets in the summer months, but that doesn’t mean our calorie and fat consumption has to as well. It really is possible to eat a juicy, satisfying burger without spending 1100 of your precious calories. That number is not some mindless exaggeration: A few years ago, as part of a magazine assignment, I sent my favorite NYC restaurant hamburger to a lab for analysis, and they came back with that atrocious number. I was traumatized.
I don’t have the metabolism to support a 1100-calorie habit, nor the gene pool to eat that much saturated fat. But I do love me a good burger, and these healthy ones deliver.
Just in time for the 4th of July — the holiday on which burger consumption is nearly mandatory — we’ve got a satisfying, healthful burger for everyone. They’re all simple to make — as burgers should be — and can be formed and ready to cook in advance.
They’re easy, healthful, and they just feel and taste so right. After all, it’s a holiday; time to burger with abandon!
Here are five great menus for turning simple burgers into full-on Burger Night!
Juicy Lucy Turkey Burger Night
- BLT Bruschetta
- Corn with Chipotle Lime Butter
- Potato Cobb Salad
- Watermelon, Feta, Mint, and Basil Salad
- Juicy Lucy Turkey Burgers
- Brownie Pie with Homemade Ice Cream
Beef Burgers with Onion Jam Night
- Tomato and Black Bean Crostini with Avocado Crema
- Grilled Romaine with Shaved Parm and Lemon Dressing
- Smash Roasted Potatoes
- Beef Burgers with Cabernet Onion Jam
- Mixed Fruit Crisp with Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
Veggie Burger Night
- Grilled Guacamole
- Macaroni Salad
- Asian Cabbage, Carrot, and Peanut Slaw
- Sicilian Greens
- Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Ketchup
- Strawberry Cheesecake Tart
Chicken Burger Night
- Baba Ganoush
- Raw Corn, Tomato and Basil Salad
- Roast Beet, Cucumber and Feta Salad
- Chicken Guacamole Burgers
- Strawberry Frosted Cupcakes
Salmon Burger Night
- Linguine with Spinach and Pepita Pesto
- Heirloom Tomato Salad
- Salmon Burgers with Lime Mayonnaise
- Strawberry Biscuit Shortcake
More Ideas for Burger Night
Tips for Making a Great Burger
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Making Burgers
- The Best Ground Beef for Burgers
- Does Dimpling Burgers Really Help Them Cook Flat?
- The Best Moment to Salt Your Burgers
- Why You Don't Need a Grill To Make Perfect Burgers