• Caramelized onions – Discovering that we could freeze caramelized onions changed our life, as it's such a quick way to add depth of flavor to a weeknight meal. And they're excellent in tomato sauce.
• Fennel – Quickly saute a thinly-sliced fennel bulb in olive oil, and then add it to your sauce for a bright anise flavor.
• Olives and capers – These are delicious on their own, or you can add a few more ingredients and make it a pasta puttanesca!
• Pesto – Who says you have to choose between tomato sauce or pesto? If you have frozen pesto cubes in your freezer, this is a great way to add some basil flavor even if it isn't in season.
• Roasted garlic – Just like the onions, you can make a batch of roasted garlic ahead of time and freeze it.
Any other ideas?
(Image: Emma Christensen)